Seeing your life through the eyes of your past is keeping you from being able to see things clearly, and make beautiful changes in your life.
A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with PTSD after a traumatic event in my family. After the diagnosis and looking at the symptoms, I believe I had been living with PTSD long before a diagnosis.
One of the things my PTSD does if a traumatic memory is triggered, it is like I’m reliving the trauma in the present moment. All my anxiety, fears, and feelings from the trauma come rushing back and it’s hard to see the situation for what it really is. One of the biggest things that has helped me heal is using Reiki in the moment to send healing to the situation and bring me back to the present moment so that I can move beyond the trauma.
Not everyone has been diagnosed or has PTSD but we all have painful memories that can resurface and affect how we interact with the world. Next time one of these painful memories arises follow these steps to heal and come back into the present.
- Recognize the painful memory that is resurfacing. What are the details about this memory that you remember? How does this memory relate to the present moment?
- Take a deep breath and bring your focus to your breath.
- If you are in a safe and supported space, allow yourself to go into the pain. Especially if you ran away from this pain in the past. Feel each emotion that arises as deeply as you can. Move through everything that arises, using your breath to guide you. Please note that having a safe and supportive environment is essential to exploring your emotions. If you don’t feel safe doing this alone, don’t. Having a friend or family member who has the capacity to hold space for you can be extremely beneficial. This can also be a good time to book a healing session or talk to a therapist who is professionally trained to hold space and guide others through these types of experiences. In my healing sessions, I’ve held space formany who have been through very traumatic experiences, for anything outside of my scope of practice I can refer you to others who can help.
- If you need to skip step 3, or you’ve made it through step 3, keep your attention on your breath and start to ground yourself in the present moment by noticing the facts about your current reality. E.g. I am safe in my house. I have my person to support me. What is true in the present moment? Nothing else matters but what is true right now. You can not change the past or control future outcomes. Stay focused on your breath, imagining light filling your body until you feel completely grounded and present.
- Try and recognize the lesson in your experience. It can be as simple as learning to be present. Take note of anything you can shift or change to create a better reality for yourself. Take small steps, and let go of anything outside of your control.
Looking for support? Book a 1:1 session today.
Love and light,
Reiki Master Teacher & Spiritual Business Coach