Do you ever feel like you are constantly giving to others without receiving the abundance and positivity you deserve in return?
If so, you are not alone. Our society often places more value on giving than receiving, particularly for women and empaths who may feel pressure to prioritize the needs of others over their own.
However, being open to receiving abundance and positivity is just as crucial as giving it. By shifting your focus towards receiving and cultivating a mindset of abundance, you can attract more positivity and fulfillment into your life.
To learn more about how to achieve this, scroll down for some helpful tips!
EMBRACING THE ART OF RECEIVING: MY PERSONAL JOURNEY
Growing up, I was taught that the needs of others should always come before my own. This value was instilled in me by my role models and by the religion I grew up in. As someone who was assigned female at birth, I felt the pressure to fulfill traditional feminine roles, such as becoming a stay-at-home mom like my mother.
Although my mother was content in this role, she had to give up some of her dreams, such as becoming a fashion designer. It was implied that she had to choose between family and school, and she chose family. For most of my childhood and early adulthood, I believed that I too would have to make the same choice.
Despite doing well in school and attending college, I saw these accomplishments as just a means to fill time until I met a man who would support me in becoming a stay-at-home mom. It was not until later that I began to question this traditional way of life and to consider my own aspirations and desires.
Even after discovering Reiki, which became a significant part of my purpose, I still defaulted into these traditional roles. I got married young and put nearly all of my energy into taking care of my husband, who was a drug addict with narcissistic tendencies. During those years, I neglected my own needs and self-care in an effort to force the life I was supposed to want.
Despite all of my efforts, I felt completely dissatisfied with life. I lacked fulfillment in both my work and relationships. It seemed that every area of my life was lacking, and abundance felt like an unattainable promise.
It wasn’t until I realized that I had been so focused on giving to others that I had neglected my own self-care, and was blocking my ability to receive. Receiving isn’t about how much you give to others, hoping that you’ll gain something in return. It’s about putting your own needs, goals, and desires first so that you can receive. As a result of receiving more, you then become able to give more.
By prioritizing my own needs and taking time for myself, I was able to create the abundant life I have today. Although some aspects of my current life align with my initial vision, much of it has evolved beyond my original expectations. Furthermore, I have attained more than I ever could have imagined.
It took a lot of work to get to where I am now. This involved consistent self-care, constantly improving my boundaries, and saying no to things that did not align with my values or goals. I also had to identify the many limiting beliefs that were holding me back from the life I wanted.
A lot of these beliefs were generated by the conditioning I mentioned earlier. Finally, I learned how to ask for help and support from the right people who could help me align with my true, authentic self.
HOW OVERLOOKING RECEIVING CAN LEAD TO FEELINGS OF LACK AND UNFULFILLMENT
Have you ever had a realization similar to mine, where you were so focused on giving to others that you neglected your own self-care? Did you know that this behavior actually blocks your ability to receive and creates feelings of lack and unfulfillment? How does this happen?
- Your fear can prevent you from receiving abundance. It may stem from fear of the unknown or fear of being hurt. These fears may lead you to prioritize the needs of others over your own, in an effort to protect yourself from potential harm. However, prioritizing your own needs is actually the key to creating an abundant life and attracting more positivity and fulfillment into it.
- These fears can lead to a fixed mindset, causing you to believe that your abilities and opportunities are limited. Overcoming this mindset can be difficult and leave you feeling stuck and unable to make progress. However, cultivating a growth mindset can help you break free from this limiting belief. Challenge yourself to see obstacles as opportunities for growth and development. By believing that your abilities and opportunities are limitless, you open yourself up to receiving more and increasing your abundance.
- Focusing solely on giving to others may be a way to avoid addressing your own feelings of unworthiness or the belief that you don’t deserve abundance in your life. However, it’s important to recognize that it’s okay to receive. You have inherent worth and value exactly as you are right now. You already possess everything you need to be who you are, right where you are. By acknowledging and accepting this fact, you can begin to embrace abundance in all aspects of your life. Remember, taking care of yourself is not selfish, but rather essential for your well-being and happiness.
- Neglecting your self-care can lead to a lack of clarity regarding your desires and what you’re open to receiving. This can ultimately block you from receiving abundance. To overcome this block, take time to reflect on your goals and desires, and remain open to unexpected opportunities for abundance.
- Ultimately, we perpetuate these habits because we are resistant to change. It’s easy to become entrenched in our ways and lose sight of the possibilities that await us if we’re willing to take a risk. By being open to new experiences and opportunities, we can shift our focus towards receiving and cultivate a mindset of abundance. Start by exploring a new hobby, trying something new, or crossing something off your bucket list. These experiences can broaden your perspective and help you see the world in new and exciting ways. Taking these small steps can help you break free from your old habits and embrace new opportunities for growth and self-discovery.
TIPS TO SHIFT YOUR FOCUS ONTO RECEIVING AND CULTIVATING AN ABUNDANCE MINDSET.
- Make self-care a priority starting today. Ideally, aim to spend two hours each day on self-care. However, it’s important to do what is realistic for you. If you’re not currently practicing self-care, start with at least 5 minutes and gradually increase it. Imagine how much better you would feel if you doubled the amount of self-care you’re currently doing!
- Reflect on your goals and desires and get really clear about what you want. If your default answer is “I don’t know,” it’s time to stop yourself in your tracks because you do know. So, what are the fears that are stopping you? If you did know, and you had all the money and time in the world, what would your answer be?
- Practice gratitude for what you already have. Start noticing the abundance that surrounds you. Take a walk in nature and appreciate how inherently abundant the Earth is. All that abundance and potential for creation and destruction is within you. It is a reflection of who you are!
- Start saying no. Embrace your inner two-year-old and say no to anything and everything that does not align with your goals and values. Get comfortable saying no to others, and let them be responsible for themselves. Take responsibility for yourself.
- Surround yourself with people who help you grow, challenge you, and push you to follow your desires. Seek out those you admire, who have achieved the things you want to achieve, and ask them for help. Be willing to pay for their expertise. Value others the way you want to be valued.
- Celebrate your successes and accomplishments, no matter how small they may seem. Celebrate every step you take to put yourself first and achieve your goals.
- Visualize yourself receiving the abundance you deserve. Remember, you already are all you need to be, right where you are.
What did you think about this week’s tips for creating abundance? Send me a DM and let me know if you found this week’s guidance helpful!